Thursday 30 October 2014

Low carb seeded bread



 

 

Seeded low carbohydrate bread



This is a recipe that has taken nearly a year to perfect but this latest experimental loaf is as near perfect as I dare hope for.  The ingredients make this bread low carbohydrate but not gluten free.


From the beginning I have aimed for a bread mix that gives me the feel, texture and taste of the bread I’ve eaten all my life with as little carbohydrate as possible.

My ingredients for this recipe are lots of different types of flour but only because I was using bits I had left in the cupboard, however, I don’t think it matters what type of flour you but you will need to stick to a few necessaries.

All these flours worked, it is entirely up to you what combination you use so long as you always have a small amount of wheat flour, vital wheat and pea protein.

From my experience, I found the soy flour and sesame flour a little bitter so I tend to use smaller amounts.  I am wary about using too much flaxseed, too as this can be overpowering for my taste which is why I opted to use a wide variety for a better taste. I generally aimed at 500 grams overall in weight which was what my yeast liked to work with although the recipe on the back of the packet suggested more flour.

I was also aware of costs and in my year long adventure with bread, I have managed to work out low cost by literally grinding my own ingredients in a coffee grinder I had.  To buy ground pea protein is hugely expensive for small amounts.  Pea protein in literally yellow or green split peas so I bought a packet at 79p and it worked three loaves for me. (I have also ground dried marrow peas I found but they did taste very much of peas).   Pea protein is pure protein and gives structure to the bread. I bought golden linseed and ground it into flaxseed which is a much fresher way, too.  Sesame seeds grind well but peanuts don’t.  Psyllium husks helped bind the bread together and has high fibre contents but be careful not to use too many or it produces a slimy texture.  Chia seeds have to same fibre content but again be careful not to add too many as they, too produce a slimy texture.  Ground almonds works well but is expensive. The Vital Wheat is necessary to add gluten to the nut flours which have none.   Strong white flour is necessary as is rye and the carb content is around 80 carbs in white and 50 in rye per 100 grams.  A mix of the two effectively gives about 60 carbs.  These flours are your highest carbs but as this bread is high fibre and protein, thus extremely filling you will need only very thin slices.  Even if you wanted to, you’d be hard pushed to eat more than a slice at a time.  I have managed to cut this loaf thin enough to make about 20 and sometimes more slices.

The bread in the picture cut very thinly and held together well.  It was crusty on the outside and nicely moist in the middle.  One loaf lasts my husband and I a week and keeps very well.



For this loaf:

100 grams mix of strong white and rye flour

100 grams Soy flour

  50 grams ground almonds

  75 grams Pea protein

  25 grams sesame flour

  20 grams psyllium husks

  25 grams coconut flour

  75 grams of Vital Wheat

  30 grams of flaxseed

100 grams of seed mix

Mix all ground flours and wheat flour together and add 30 grams butter, teaspoon of salt and a teaspoons of  (real) sugar or equivalent honey.  You will need real sugar to activate yeast. 

If you want a sweeter bread use about a tablespoon of alternative sweetener but not xylitol as it will kill the yeast due to its natural reaction in destroying fungus

Add to this 7grms of quick acting yeast

One tablespoon maybe two of natural full fat yogurt

One egg

One pint of warm water.



Mix well with dough hooks on an electric mixer.  My mixer is a hand one and I just moved it around to help the motor cope as you will be working with dense flours. Make sure your dough is moist and adjust water to suit.  I found about a pint was good and it resulted in a sort of gooey dough.  If your dough is too solid don’t be afraid to add more water. This bread mix is very forgiving!



Turn on your oven to 50c for about a minute and then turn it off. This merely creates a warm environment for the yeast to work.  Pop the bowl of dough in and leave it for up to two hours.  I cover mine with a little cling flim but very loosely so it has a chance to breathe



When the dough has doubled in size – or near enough doubled – take it out and place on oiled bread oven tray.  Don’t knock it back.  It will make two loaves.  I found by letting it rise the once, it didn’t sprawl and was much crustier than my previous breads. So, it only needs to rise once.  Heat your Heat your oven up to 220c and put the bread in for 15 minutes.  Turn oven off and leave it in for another five minutes. 



If the process has gone according to plan you will have two weighty loaves. One to use and one to freeze.



Let me know how it goes….


No comments:

Post a Comment